Medical Microbiology and Immunology Department
The Department general Objectives:
- To provide students with new and updated information about medical microbiology & immunology through introductory courses and as separated lectures in the integrated modules with all laboratory work that supports the theoretical part of the lectures
To educate the students about emerging infectious disease and the importance of infection prevention.
- To encourage research work in the field of medical microbiology and infectious diseases, both conducted by staff members and students.
- To serve the local community at Al-Karak province at the schools or any other local societies by arranging educational lectures about the infectious diseases and its prevention or any related general public health issues.
- Medical Microbiology course is taught to the students by the whole team in the Medical Microbiology department through lectures, practical, seminars and discussions.
- The course provides students with the general knowledge about microorganisms, their development, habitats, isolation, identification, nutrition, control and its relation to environment and antibiotics. Additionally, the student will study the specific agents that cause human infectious diseases, which belong to five major groups of organisms bacteria, helminthes, protozoa, viruses & fungi, their mechanisms in causing the diseases (pathogenesis), diagnosis & treatment.
- Students will have practical training on laboratory safety, infection prevention, bacterial isolation and identification from different body samples. Students will also be exposed to concepts and methodologies of bacterial antibiotic sensitivity tests and other biochemical and Molecular tests for bacterial and parasitic detection.
The aim of this course is to study the basic concepts of immunology, natural and acquired immunity, and different immunological responses. To be familiar with the Antigens, antibodies, practical use of immunology techniques, study the immune disease and immune related diseases. Practical & theoretical study of immunological procedures used in the diagnosis of various diseases and transplantation of organs and diagnosis of tumor and treatment. Practical training in immunology will introduce both classical and contemporary immunological assay procedures within the context of interpreting laboratory science experiments and demonstration fundamental immunological principles